Some have said that life is only 10% what happens to us and 90% what we tell ourselves about the other 10%. The 90% is self-talk. It can either be positive or negative. The self-talk that causes anxiety is the negative kind. For example, negative self-talk can take the form of, “I tried that before and I can’t do it.” Positive self-talk would be, “This didn’t work the last time I tried it, but I will give it another try. Who knows?” One of the treatments for negative self-talk is to
(1) realize what that negative self-talk is (done best by speaking those thoughts down on paper),
(2) finding the lie behind it,
(3) determining what the actual truth is, and
(4) replacing the truth with the lie in the form of positive self-talk.
You will experience at least some relief from anxiety with positive self-talk. After all, we are Americans, not Americant’s.